Calling All NWACC Students! LOL: IMPORTANT UPDATE.

If it belongs nowhere else, it belongs here!
Tailbone
antispam: human non-spammer
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 50

Calling All NWACC Students! LOL: IMPORTANT UPDATE.

Post by Tailbone »

SCROLL DOWN TO SEE AN IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT.

I'm not sure if there are any of you out there, but I'm planning on starting up a Secular Alliance / Freethought Group at Northwest Arkansas Community College. It's barely out of the stages of a concept and I'm currently in the process of trying to find the students necessary before I approach faculty and staff to be advisers. It'll be easier to work this to fruition with an actual group of active and interested fellow students.

Aside from Krueger (hey there, if you're reading this - can't wait to take your philosophy class), the obvious first choice, I'm considering asking John Cooksey (anthropology instructor). However, any alternative suggestions would be seriously appreciated. I'm simply not all that well connected yet due to the fact that freethinking students honestly feel the need to remain silent the majority of the time.

I think with the introduction of the billboard on the way to the college and the coalition as well as Fayetteville Freethinkers getting more notice, now is an opportune time to start up such a group. It can be really lonely being an atheist in this area and the fact I'm still young enough to not be taken very seriously, the environment can even feel quite hostile. I can't be the only student who would have an interest in getting together with like-minded individuals on campus!

Any advice on my venture would be seriously appreciated.
Last edited by Tailbone on Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Darwinist faggot as despicable as the rest, walking around eating her Triscuits.
Doug
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 0

Re: Calling All NWACC Students!

Post by Doug »

DOUG KRUEGER writes:
It sounds like a great idea. There are many freethought, secular, and atheist student groups across the United States. I can help point you in the direction of some of the national organizations that could lend some support or advice.
"We could have done something important Max. We could have fought child abuse or Republicans!" --Oona Hart (played by Victoria Foyt), in the 1995 movie "Last Summer in the Hamptons."
Savonarola
Mod@Large

Post by Savonarola »

Doug wrote:There are many freethought, secular, and atheist student groups across the United States. I can help point you in the direction of some of the national organizations that could lend some support or advice.
In fact, our freethinking pal Phil Ferguson -- who is very active with the Secular Student Alliance at his nearby university, Illinois Ubana-Champaign -- is visiting Arkansas this month. If I'm not mistaken, he'll be at the Fayetteville Freethinker meeting on Saturday. He and Dr. Bill Harter can probably provide an immeasurable wealth of useful information.
Dardedar
Site Admin
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 0

Post by Dardedar »

Actually, Phil is back home for a week and will return next week, after the meeting. Also, Dr. Bill won't be able to attend the meeting this Saturday.
Tailbone

Post by Tailbone »

Sorry I had to leave early from the meeting today, guys - my ride had something come up. I would have said goodbye, but I didn't want to interrupt the movie! Since I wasn't able to watch the whole thing through I'll probably just end up watching it through online.

It was great meeting all of you! When I got home I had actually received my group starting packet from the Secular Student Alliance in the mail, so I have a good stack of fliers to begin distributing and posting once I get the concept a little more organized. I'm really excited about getting this going - hopefully it'll be registered this Fall if I can find the ten necessary students.
A Darwinist faggot as despicable as the rest, walking around eating her Triscuits.
Tailbone

IMPORTANT UPDATE

Post by Tailbone »

It's more than time to begin charging full steam ahead! The last month has been a wild ride – I attended the Secular Student Alliance Conference in Columbus, Ohio and formed some pretty incredible networking, including hanging out with fairly well-known individuals like Hemant Mehta (The Friendly Atheist) and Greta Christina. I've actually begun to become active very rapidly, such as recording for the SSA and even writing an article for their eMpirical. I'm even guest posting for JT Eberhard, co-founder of the MSU Chapter of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

So, I absolutely have the contacts and resources to really get my group off the ground, but I still need the faculty and the students to bring this dream into reality. Guys, come out of the woodwork!

I've got quite a few people I've extended the invitation to and actually, Darrel, I met your wife on the bus today! We talked for a good forty minutes before I found out who she was, which was a really awesome surprise. I'm glad I chose to sit down next to her – coincidences can be fascinating things. Honestly, what are the odds of that? I was already super motivated to jump on this project today and talking with her helped inspire my drive immensely. Tamara, it was great talking with you.

Anyways! I'll be starting up the Legion of Logic this Fall if things go according to plan and already have quite a few people interested in coming on board – as soon as I finish organizing I'll be putting up fliers and having people sign a roster. Doug, I need to talk to you and find an appropriate second advisor! If you have a time before or after classes when I can meet you, please let me know – I'm at the college every day of the week for a significant portion of the day, working in the bookstore and attending classes.

When the next event period rolls around where I can set up a table I will be – however, I absolutely need some help with running said table, because I'll probably be working / going to class part of that time. There was a welcome back fair today which will be continuing tomorrow and I was unfortunately unprepared – it was an sorely missed opportunity and there were three or four campus ministry groups there. This past weekend I've been pretty overloaded on religion in bizarre concentrations every which way I turned (from typical crosses, bumper stickers, etc. all the way to nuns and fundamentalists in the bookstore) and honestly feel like if I don't really get on this I'm going to melt down into a frothing mess.

I did get to speak to several people and inform them about my group in-the-works, though, and even left my name with the Chi Alpha group in offering them an invitation to be debate opponents. I really want to work on hosting debates once we get enough people active and interested.

Anyways, I really want to get well-established connections with the rest of the freethinkers in the area. If you have time to talk with me at the college, drop me a line or just see if I'm at the bookstore. If you have Facebook, add me. Please, come drop by my blog. Whatever keeps me in touch with the rest of you.

Networking, I choose you!